Sunday, March 7, 2010

Buttercream Frosting

I love Wilton's frosting recipe! Delicious! I use it for nearly all of the cakes and cookies we frost around here!

1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup barely softened butter
1 tsp. clear vanilla extract (regular works too) or 1 tsp. almond extract
4-5 cups of powdered sugar
2-4 tbsp. milk

Put shortening and butter into mixer bowl and mix together until well blended (I love my Kitchenaid for this). Add 4 cups of powdered sugar, one cup at a time. Add vanilla or almond extract. Add 2 tbsp. milk. Add more milk a little at a time until desired consistency is reached whipping well after each addition- don't forget to scrape to sides of the bowl occasionally. If it gets a bit too runny add a bit more powdered sugar.  Frost away!

Can be stored for up to 2 weeks in an airtight container in the fridge.

NOTE: For years I preferred the frosting flavored with almond extract, but lately I've been using just vanilla.  I have a few friends who are allergic to nuts and I worry that the almond extract might do something horrible to them.  Maybe it wouldn't, I'd rather not find out.  Anyhow, I've been loving the slightly different flavor!

No comments: