Saturday, February 21, 2009

Olive Garden Zuppa Toscana Soup

Katie also makes this soup and it is delicious. I haven't actually made it myself...yet. I plan to soon. I'm not real into super spicy things, so I need to find a good sausage with a little spice, but not too much.

SERVES 6-8
Ingredients

* 1 lb. spicy sausage
* 4 medium potatoes, cut in half lengthwise and cut into 1/4 inch slices
* 1/4 cup onion, diced
* 1/2 cup REAL bacon bits
* 1/4 teaspoons minced garlic
* 2 cups kale leaves, cut in half, then sliced
* 2 tablespoons chicken base
* 1 quart water (or substitute water and base for 2 cans chicken broth )
* 1/3 cup heavy cream

MY NOTES: I buy about a half to 3/4 a pound of mild Italian sausage for this recipe and I don't use the bacon bits.

Directions

1. If sausage is in links, take out of wrapper (or slice).
2. Cook ground sausage, set aside.
3. In soup pot, saute onion and garlic cook 1 minute.
4. Add chicken base, water, and potatoes; simmer 15 minutes.
5. Add crumbled bacon, sausage, kale and cream.
6. Simmer 5 more minutes, then serve.

No comments: